The conservatory which has perpendicular tracery was used to house hunting trophies for the Bainbridge family.
Search Our Site
In Nov 1797 Cuthbert Rippon of London acquired the two parcels of land, called Castle Heugh and started to rebuild the house with the local architect Ignatius Bonomi of Durham (1787-1870). The house was referred to as Stanhope Castle.
The castle then consisted of a four cornered building, two stories high with semi-circular projections at each end and embattled walls. A conservatory was added later leading to a high square tower with large windows.